In this article I will be talking about skin in general. Aging and the natural process of skin aging. And how to reduce premature aging, premature fine lines or wrinkles. Sounds interesting? Yes it is! as we do not want to be looking old more than our age.
Functions of the skin
The skin is the largest organ in the human body. It has a countless function from protection to excretion.
- Protection- the skin is the first line of defense. Thus, it protects us from numerous wear and tear from the outside. Without the skin, the underlying tissues in our body would be damaged by the ultraviolet rays from the sun. It also serves as barrier from chemicals, radiations, infections and trauma.
- Regulating body temperature– The body can adjust and survive to different temperature or environmental changes. It has an essential function to maintain a regular body core temperature which is 37 degrees celcius.
- Sensation- Sense of touch is one of our senses in our body. Thanks to our skin that responds to various stimuli like pressure, heat, cold and many more.
- Absorption- The skin absorbs topical medications, creams, serums and the like that we apply in our skin. It also absorbs sunlight for vitamin D production of the body.
- Excretion- In response to changes in temperature, heat is lost in our body through our skin (sweat glands).
Skin aging process
Aging is a natural process that our body undergoes that we cannot stop. The body changes as we age and so with our skin. As we age our skin becomes rough, loose because of the decrease in elasticity, and more sensitive because of the thinning epidermis. But glad to say that there are factors that affects aging that we can do something about it. Environmental and lifestyle have a great impact on aging especially our skin. We can age beautifully if we want to. By saying this, we should embrace a healthy lifestyle, healthy diet, enough sleep, regular exercise and the like. It is also important to apply moisturizer and use sunblock to protect the skin from the harmful effects of the environment as this can cause premature aging of the skin.
Premature skin aging – Healthy glowing skin
Bad habits, unhealthy diet, lack of exercise, smoking, stress, environment are just some of the various factors that causes the skin to age prematurely. There are a lot of people that experiences premature skin aging. This can be reduced in many ways.
Best ways to reduce premature skin aging
- Always protect your skin from the sun. Cover up with clothing, use hat or cap when out and about. It is essential also to use the best sunblock with broad.spectrum spf which is 30 or higher.
- Avoid tanning beds or tanning equipment. Tanning artificially helps in premature aging because of the strong and harmful rays that tans the skin fast. Thus causing premature skin aging.
- Healthy lifestyle. (Diet, exercise and habits). Lifestyle covers a big area in ou daily life. And these are some of the things we could do. If you are a smoker-quit it!. Gradually quit bad habits that affects your skin and health in general. Do regular exercise. Eat healthy foods. There are a lot of foods that is good for the skin. Berries, green leafy vegetables to name a few. Have enough sleep. Drink 8-10 glasses of water.
- Drink moderately. Alcohol dehydrates the skin that in time damages the skin.
- Good hygiene. Take a bath regularly. Wash your face twice a day. Don’t sleep with make ups on.
- Apply moisturizer. Apply moisturizer day and night. There are many age beauty products available in the market. You can also find the best anti aging wrinkle creams in the stores. Take your pick.
Finding the best products for your skin is a little bit complicated as it seems. You need to understand and know your skin (discussed in the previous post). When you know and understand your skin the easier it is to buy the best moisturizer, the most effective anti aging skin care, the best sunblock in the market and so on and so fort. Consider that there our different skin types, you may have normal skin, dry skin, oily skin and combination skin. It is also advisable to consider product ingredients. As some products have strong and harmful ingredients that is harmful to the skin. There are also natural skin care products available or natural anti aging skin care products you can find in the market. You might also want to consider anti wrinkle treatments that works for you.
Our skin is an essential body part that plays an important role. What ever we do every day and what ever we eat have a great impact to the natural process of skin aging. As I have said that aging is inevitable and is a natural process that everyone of us is experiencing or will be experiencing. But we can do something good to our skin so we could age beautifully. Sounds good right? Yes, it is in our hands to protect and care for our skin.