Eat your way to a beautiful healthy skin
Yes, you read it right! Fight aging through food. It is hard to resist food. We eat what ever we want to eat and that craving is sometimes hard to resist. But are we eating our way to a healthy beautiful skin? Or are we eating to our way to aging?
Sometimes we ignore or not often the aisle of fresh produce in the market or grocery stores. Little did we know that in this area it is where we can find the answers to our questions. How do I get a young looking skin or how do I fight aging? Well of course basically aging is inevitable. It is a natural process that everyone of us undergo, but we can age beautifully if we have a holistic approach. The good news is there are tons of healthy delicious foods that we can eat. Treat yourself a well-balanced diet. Good nourishment helps to repair damaged skin and helps in the growth of new cells in our body. If we have a poor diet or unhealthy eating habits then later on it will reflect on our skin and on our health in general. As the old proverb say “you are what you eat”.
Foods for a healthy skin – List of super foods
- Eat five portion of fruits and vegetables everyday.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables are loaded with powerful antioxidants.Antioxidants protects our skin from cellular damage by decreasing the production of free radicals. Example of antioxodant rich foods are dark colored grapes, blueberries and red berries, sweet potato, kale and other green leafy vegetables. There’s a lot of choices, so go ahead and add a rainbow on your diet.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day.
- Others may refute on how many glasses of water we should drink but I must say that the key point here is to RE HYDRATE. YES, that’s in bold letters. Because I want to emphasize here that it is important to rehydrate. There are also some foods that contain lots of water just like watermelon (obviously) and cucumber to name a few. So take your pick!
- Load up with vitamin C
- Vitamin C is good for the immune system and the skin. The antioxidant in vitamin C helps in wound healing, prevention of scurvy and treatment of sunburn. This is because vitamin C plays a role in collagen synthesis.
- Add healthy fats in your diet.
- Contrary to what most people know that anything with fats is bad for the health. Well, there is this type of fats that is healthy for the body. They are monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. They are called healthy fats because they help decrease LDL cholesterol that causes arteries to clog.
- Healthy fats can be found in avocados, walnuts,almonds, pistachios, oives,olive oil, salmon and many more.
- Have some protein rich foods.
- Protien (broken down into amino acids) plays a role in the construction of new body tissue. So make a diet plan that includes egg, yoghurt (all dairy), meat, poultry and fish as they are all rich in proteins.
There are many more to add on the list like; dark chocolate is rich in flavanols to help have a smoother skin. Red wine has antioxidant called resveratrol, but don’t make it as a reason to finish up that bottle, anything in excess is not good. Add some rosemary herb as this too is rich in antioxidant. Start your day with a bowl of oats for a younger looking skin.
Foods that is bad for your skin
- Processed foods. They are loaded with preservatives and additives. They too are high in sodium.
- Processed meat, french fries, chips and white bread to name a few.
- Sugar. This causes increased sugar level in the body that stimulates hormonal production thus having an excessive oil in your skin.
- Soda. Sodas are high in sugar.
- Caffeine. Caffeinated drinks can cause dehydration in the skin. Though a cup of coffee is still accepted.
- Shellfish. Limit your crab, shrimp and lobster consumption as this is high in iodine that can clog the skin pores.
- Refined carbs. This refers tp processed flour and processed sugar. In here we are talking about cutting, muffins, white bread, pizza and the like because they are all made up of refined flour. Why refined carbs are bad? Well it increases the production of oil in the skin, and refined carbs decreases the healthy bacteria in your gut.
The choice is yours for a perfect skin
Now we have come a long way about foods for a healthy skin. I have discussed what is good and bad for the skin. It may be difficult or hard to follow a diet plan for a young good looking skin or a diet plan to fight aging but we must think what is good for our body. I totally understand that we have all our sweet tooth but we have to know the limit. Discipline is all what it takes.
Keep in touch for more beautifying tips to come.