Overview. In this article, I am going to talk about acne, how to treat acne and acne scars, factors causing acne and the natural ways to treat acne and acne scars. Also, I have included the best selling acne treatments that are available in the market. There are some other acne prevention tips that are included in this blog.
Remember, this article is a result of my personal journey overcoming acne plus research and readings I have done on other articles that is related to my blog. This article is not meant to replace any medical professional advice. Always consult your dermatologist or your general practitioner before starting any acne treatments.
How to treat acne and acne scars?
Before diving into how to treat acne and acne scars, let´s take a look at what is Acne and the factors that cause acne.
Acne, also known as acne vulgaris, is a long-term skin disease that occurs when hair follicles are clogged with dead skin cells and oil from the skin. It is characterized by blackheads or whiteheads, pimples, oily skin, and possible scarring.
It primarily affects areas of the skin with a relatively high number of oil glands, including the face, upper part of the chest, and back. The resulting appearance can lead to anxiety, reduced self-esteem and, in extreme cases, depression or thoughts of suicide (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acne)
What causes acne?
Genetics is though to be the primary factor. 80% of acne cases were thought to be connected with genetics. Androgens, which is a hormone in both sexes play a role in the increased production of sebum. Other factors are diet, environmental factors, and medications.
Acne affects thousands of people from all over the world. Not only does it affects the surface of the skin but also the inner layers of the skin. Acne usually occurs on the face, neck, chest, and back, and it starts during the adolescence period.
A number of studies were done by professionals and experts during the past years. A good number of acne experts and skin care professionals have conducted many studies on how to prevent the formation of acne.
Efforts to better understand the mechanisms of sebum production are underway. The aim of this research is to develop medications that target and interfere with the hormones that are known to increase sebum production (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acne)
Top 3 Acne Skin Care Tips
Skincare routines are very important in treating acne and cane scars. Below are practical tips on how to treat acne and cane scars. These tips are sometimes overlooked, but I would like to emphasize how important these practical skincare tips are.
# 1: Always Clean Your Skin Very Gently
First of all, personal hygiene is very important in preventing acne. So as most experts usually suggest, you should gently clean your skin with a mild cleanser at least twice a day. This simple acne skin care step is deemed important for fighting acne since washing your face or the other affected areas will wipe away the acne-causing bacteria found on the skin.
Although you might have heard of facial scrubs, with acne-prone skin you should do it cautiously. Ask your dermatologist if you can do facial scrubs if you have acne-prone skin.
# 2: Refrain from frequently holding or touching your skin
Another helpful acne skin care tip is to avoid frequently touching the skin. Don’t pinch, pick or squeeze your pimple since it will only worsen the condition. Pricking your acne may even cause infection and scarring. As this acne skin care tip holds, you should avoid rubbing and touching your skin lesions if possible.
# 3: Always Choose Cosmetics Carefully
Acne skin prone people should choose mild or natural cosmetics. Some cosmetic ingredients are too harsh for the skin causing more breakouts, clogged pores, and skin irritation. Note that in order to avoid the onset or the development of acne, the cosmetics you plan on using like the foundation, blush, moisturizers, and eye shadow should be oil-free.
Regularly change your foundation applicator sponges and regularly clean your blush-on brushes as well. This is to ensure the cleanliness of your cosmetic applicators that comes in contact with your skin.
Top 3 natural and home remedy treatment for acne and acne scars.
Acne scars can be a major factor in a persons´ self-esteem. It affects one’s self-confidence, especially during puberty.
Aside from acne scar treatments that are available in the market, I am going to talk about the natural ways to treat acne scars. I will be talking about home remedy acne scar treatment before we can dive into the pharmaceutical ones.
Natural acne scar treatment is the best solution method especially for those who possess sensitive skin because natural treatment doesn’t create side effects or rashes that may further destroy your sensitive skin.
1. Oatmeal cleanser. This is not just for acne but the oatmeal cleanser is good for blackheads and whiteheads as well. Make a paste by mixing rose water and fine oatmeal that you can use it as a facial mask. Leave it for 15 minutes then rinse it with cold water, this process allows the oatmeal to close all existing skin pores and helps clear up a lot of your existing acne scars. For the best results, you should do this every day.
2.Honey. Considered as one of the best natural remedies for acne scars, honey plays a great role in defeating bacteria that actually causes acne.
Raw honey helps balance the bacteria on your skin, which makes it a great product to use for acne. Manuka honey has been studied as an anti-acne product and found to be significantly more effective than other popular products. (https://www.healthline.com/health/honey-for-face#benefits)
3. Aloe vera. This plant has antioxidant and antibacterial properties which can be a good effect in treating acne and healing acne and acne scars.
In one study of 30 women over the age of 45, topical application of the gel was shown to increase collagen production and improve skin elasticity over a 90-day period (https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318591.php)
- I am adding Lemon Juice but this is your personal choice or decision. Lemon juice, citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C, which is an antioxidant that can boost collagen levels and fight free radicals. There are many debates on the use of lemon for acne treatment, use this method cautiously or try the other above-mentioned home remedies as they are more gentle to the skin. Most of all, ask your dermatologist if you are thinking of using lemon to treat acne or any skin problems.
Best Seller Acne Treatments on Amazon
Aside from the natural home remedies mentioned above for acne scar treatment, I have searched as per writing the best seller acne treatments on Amazon that you can try for your acne and acne scar treatment.
3 Acne Treatment tips you can do today aside from facial treatments.
Luckily, there are a number of things you can do to make sure your skin is less prone to flare-ups. Here are 3 tips for taking control of your acne starting today.
1. Exercise – Active lifestyle can help fight acne by fighting off negative stress levels that can come from negative self-esteem and depression.
- Avoid tight headbands or tight outfits that tend to trap body moisture and heat resulting in a bacteria frenzy. Choose breathable clothing instead to allow airflow on your skin.
- Hydrate! Don´t forget your water.
2. Diet – Studies show that diet does not play a role in either the cause or the treatment of acne, this is still a big debate. However, what is recommended to eat healthy and stay
healthy. What is best for your body is best for your skin, especially since your skin is the largest organ of your body. So remember to watch your diet. Have a balanced diet of fruits and vegetables. This will help to prevent and help conquer acne breakout. You can also check these healthy smoothie recipes.
3. Hygiene – A healthy skin regimen should include no harsh scrubbing or over-washing, because this can cause possible skin irritation or possible overproduction of oil to replace what has washed off, clogging pores in the process. Remember not to overdo facial cleansing or facial scrubbing. Be gentle to your skin as much as possible and hey, don´t prick your pimples!
If you do spot acne-troubled areas, do NOT mess with them. Remember that these are already weeks in the making, and squeezing or picking blemishes can force the infected area to regress back inside, further troubling the region and possibly leave a scar. If necessary, seek help from a dermatologist for alternative treatments.
Conclusion: Acne is a common problem worldwide, although it usually comes out during puberty it can also affect adults. Low self-esteem and self-confidence is a common serious effect and can also lead to depression. There are ways to treat acne naturally but it may take the time or longer before you can see a result. The key here is to continuously do it for a period of time as these methods don´t work overnight. You can also make use of pharmaceutical products if you want a faster result. Maintain a healthy and active lifestyle, good hygiene and be gentle to your skin always.
Important Tip and Disclaimer: Always consult a medical professional like your dermatologist before starting any acne treatment. Every skin is different, some are sensitive and more prone to breakouts thus every skin is treated differently. This blog is a result of my personal acne journey and from reading other related articles. This is not meant to replace any medical advice from your doctor or dermatologist.
Affiliate Disclosure: This article contains affiliate links. I get a certain commission for every successful sale WITHOUT any additional cost on your part.